ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR EUGENIO ROANES-LOZANO
e-mail: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (+34) 91 394 62 48
Dept. Algebra, Facultad de Educacion, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Rector Royo Villanova s/n, E-28040-Madrid,
· Married Carmen Solano (university arts teacher) in 2005. One son, Pablo (born in 2006)
· Third award in the "Premio Holanda 1981" (Phillips Young Researchers Award) with a theoretical project of an alternative to classic railway block-systems (with mobile variable-length sections).
· Ms.Sc. (Universidad Complutense de Madrid), 1984.
· Ph.D. in Mathematics (Universidad de Sevilla), 1991. Advisor: Eugenio Roanes-Macias.
· Ph.D. in Computer Science (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid), 1993. Co-advisors: Manuel Abellanas and Eugenio Roanes Macias.
· Associate Professor. (Habil. Full Professor).
· The main research line is the application of computer algebra, specially in artificial intelligence (applications have been developed in logic, RBES knowledge extraction and verification, transportation engineering, medicine, pharmacy, architecture, automatic theorem proving and mathematics education).
· Co-advisor of two Ph.D. thesis in computer science and of one thesis in pedagogy (about the use of computer algebra in teaching mathematics).
RESEARCH GROUP and PROJECTS
Main researcher of the research group ACEIA (Algebra Computacional
Artificial), founded by the retired Professor of the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid and academician of the Royal
· Researcher, advisor or main researcher at projects granted by the Universidad Complutense, different Spanish ministries (DGICYT, DGES, FIS, TIC, MTM...) and a European project (TARSKI).
Main researcher of a research project for AERTEC S.L. for the Spanish
airport authority (AENA)-
· Main researcher of a research project for the Extremadura Regional Government about the introduction of computer algebra systems in secondary education.
· Main researcher of a research project for the Spanish Railway Foundation (Fundación de los FFCC Españoles).
· E. Roanes-Macias and E. Roanes-Lozano: Nuevas Tecnologias en Geometria. Ed. Complutense, 1994.
· E. Roanes-Macias and E. Roanes-Lozano: Calculos Matematicos por Ordenador con Maple V.5. . Ed. Rubiños-1860 S.A., 1999.
· M. de Guzmán, E. Roanes-Lozano, P. Ortega and J.P. Garbayo: International Simposium. Mathematics and new technologies: what to learn, how to teach. Facultad de CC. Matemáticas de la Universidad Complutense de Madrid - Fundación Ramón Areces, 2004 (CD-ROM) http://www.ucm.es/info/secdealg/simposio/
· L.M. Laita, L. de Ledesma and E. Roanes-Lozano: The Genesis of Boole's Logic: Its History and a Computer Exploration. Spanish Royal Academy of Sciences, Serie de Ciencias Exactas XXXIII, 2005.
ORGANIZATION OF CONFERENCES
General Chairman of AISC'2000 (Artificial Intelligence and Symbolic
· General Chairman of IMACS-ACA (Applications of Computer Algebra) 1999, Euroforum El Escorial. http://math.unm.edu/ACA/1999.html
· Session organizer at the Spanish conference on Maths Education with Technology TEMU 1995.
· Session organizer at several IMACS-ACA since 1996 ("Non-Standard Applications" session).
· Chairman of the ACA-Working Group.
SPECIAL ISSUE GUEST EDITOR
· Mathematics and Computers in Simulation. Non-Standard Applications of Computer Algebra. Edited by E. Roanes-Lozano, S. Steinberg, H. Hong. Volume 45, Issues 1-2, 1998.
· Mathematics and Computers in Simulation. Selected papers from the IMACS-ACA. Edited by S. Steinberg, E. Roanes-Lozano Volume 51, Issue 5, 2000.
· Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence. Artificial Intelligence and Symbolic Computation. Edited by J. Calmet and E. Roanes-Lozano. Volume 36, No. 3, 2002.
· Mathematics and Computers in Simulation. Applications of Computer Algebra in Science, Engineering Simulation and Special Software. Edited by M. Wester, E.A. Arnold, P. Gianni, I.S. Kotsireas, E. Roanes-Lozano and S. Steinberg. Volume 67, Issues 1-2, 2004.
· Mathematics and Computers in Simulation. Nonstandard Applications of Computer Algebra. Edited by E. Roanes-Lozano. M. Wester, S. Steinberg, Volume 79, Issue 8, 2009.
Formerly at the
Currently at the
· See the web page of the "Unidad Docente de Algebra" for details: http://www.ucm.es/info/secdealg/ (in Spanish)
MATHEMATICAL SOCIETIES MEMBERSHIP / EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERSHIP
· Member of the staff of the "Mathematics Teachers Society Puig Adam" http://www.ucm.es/info/secdealg/puig/
· Member of the "Real Sociedad Matematica Espa~nola".
· Member of the "IMACS Society".
· Member of the Editorial Board of the "Revista Chilena de Educacion Cientifica"
· Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "The Open Applied Mathematics Journal" (journal discontinued) http://http://www.bentham.org/open/toamj/
· Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Mathematics and Computers in Simulation" (in SCI-JCR) http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505615/description#description
· Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "The Scientific World Journal" (up to 2016) http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/
· Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Mathematical Problems in Engineering"(from 2016) http://www.hindawi.com/journals/mpe/
· Developer of packages included in Maple (Turtle Graphics), Macsyma and Derive (modal multivalued logics).
· Developer of the connection between "The Geometer's Sketchpad" v.3 and v.4 and Derive and Maple "paramGeo".
One of the "Maple ambassadors" for
· Derive "alfa-tester" and "beta-tester" and "Derive-consultant".
· Beta-tester of the Dynamic Geometry System "The Geometer's Sketchpad".
· At Spanish universities: Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Universidad de Cantabria, Universidad de Alcalá, Universidad de Zaragoza, Universidad de Extremadura, Universidad de Sevilla.
At universities abroad: Politecnico
di Torino (
· Others: for Addlink Software Científico, Colegio de Doctores y Licenciados and different ICEs, CEPs, CPRs and CAPs (high school teachers centers).
"Keynote speaker" at ICTMT-5 (The Fifth
International Conference on Technology in Mathematics Teaching),
"Banquet speaker" at ACA'2003 (Applications
of Computer Algebra),
"Keynote speaker" at TIME-2004 (Technology
and its Integration in Mathematics Education),
"Keynote speaker" at TIME-2010 (Technology
and its Integration in Mathematics Education), Málaga,
"Keynote speaker" at ACA’2013 (Applications
of Computer Algebra), Málaga,
· "Keynote speaker" at ESCO’2016 (European Seminar on Computing), Pilsen, Czech Republic.
SOME ACADEMIC AND NON-ACADEMIC PICTURES
Luis Laita (2003) in the Spanish Ph.D.
"uniform" (explanation: blue for sciences, brown for engineering,
including computer science;
the hood and sleeves corresponds to the Ms., the hat to the Ph.D. --Luis Laita's sleeves are therefore not correct)
More pictures can be found in http://www.ucm.es/info/secdealg/ERL/pictures.html